Friday, January 19, 2018

SOME WILL LOVE YOU TWICE

…by Tijjani Muhammad Musa

Image may contain: food

He saw me coming back from the mosque on Friday afternoon and approached me with a smile and some words of greetings.
I responded warmly as he told me where he had known me, ANA Kano monthly Creative Writers Forum, telling me he's a regular there.
"Ah yes" I said. "You were not at the end of year reading" he subtly informed in a question. "O yes, I couldn't make it due to some pressing engagement" was my reply.
As I walked in the direction of home amidst the thronging crowd of Muslim faithfuls, he followed and engaged me in a conversation.
I asked him about life and its trials to keep the talk flowing and he replied with some casual banter about not knowing I live in the neighborhood.
"Sure I do. Are you also living around here?" I asked him and he answered in the affirmative. "Only I live further, deep inside." Small world one would say.
So we walked on and gist on and soon arrived at where we would separate. He was like wanting to tell me something important to him, at least. So I patiently listened.
He turned out to be an ardent fan. Celebrity thing, you know 'fan meets icon' stuff. He confessed that he usually attend ANA CRF every month end to hear, principally my poetry.
He has just finished his NCE in English/Education at Saadatu Rimi College of Education, Kumbotso. So, he finds my poetic tee brews irresistible.
Not just that, he also closely follows my radio presentations and was devastated when he heard the purported news of my “death”.
Yes, he mistakenly thought I was the one who passed on when Tijjani Ado Ahmad died.For him and others like him, I'll surely die twice.
He narrated what happened to him thus: “I was about to eat breakfast, listening to the radio. Suddenly, they announcement came and they informed that your colleague and namesake Tijjani Ahmad has died!
Without waiting to clarify who it was, because of the similarities in both your names, I automatically assumed you were the one! SubhanalLaah!
I was so shocked, so devastated by the sad news.I couldn’t eat, having instantly and completely lost my appetite.
As I started recalling times you were with us at American Corner of Murtala Muhammad Library and also your MTN Yello Sounds chant, tears started rolling down my cheeks.
I then busted out into uncontrollably tears and soon guys at home and around me started asking what could be the matter.
So I told them that you, Tijjani Muhammad Musa had died and I truly like him a lot. And his demise is so tragic that I can’t help, but cry for his loss.”
Then a little while later, he heard the announcement again and realized he has gratefully been mistaken. "Ashe you were not the one." again with some joy and relief.
So he wiped off his drenched mood and cheered up. To confirm it wasn’t me, he tuned in to my scheduled program time and heard me presenting Yello Soundz LiVE!
So he thanked Allaah SWT for sparing me, permitting me some more time to be around.
And so today when he saw me coming, he said to himself “Though I’m shy and would normally not do this, I’m going to meet him and tell him this experience of mine” Thus his boldness to approach me.
I on my part appreciated his sharing this revelation with me and asked what his name is, he replied simply as "Nura."
Thereafter he told me he has applied 3 times so far to read English at BUK, but hasn’t been successful in gaining admission so far.
“And can you believe it, for me my problem is not even someone who will finance my education. I have people willing to do that in my family.”
I told him not to worry or give up, for I on my part had to go to ABU Zaria to seek for admission 13 consecutive weeks of a term, before I finally became successful.
Now it forms part of my story to tell at motivational talks I give, whenever the opportunity avails me. That it’ll also be part of his, later in a successful life, in sha Allah.
Death is inevitable and a promise to all that are alive. When the time comes for one to exit, be rest assured while some will not even know you are gone, others will be shocked and saddened by your demise.
But then some will cry and soon forget you. While there are those who will love you twice or even more.First in life and the second time as a mourn.
And that’s life for you. While some people hate to hear the mention of your name or see the smile on your face, others feel nothing but love and admiration for you without your knowledge or even knowing you.
And so to each, give them their rights to express what they feel and how they feel about you.
As for you? Just be yourself and continue doing what you do of good, best.
Dazz'ol.
©2018 Tijjani M. M.
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment