Tuesday, October 7, 2014

THE WORMS ARE PATIENT - #NonetPoem

THE WORMS ARE PATIENT

...by Poetic Tee "Here, take a sip"

The worms are patient with the living
Invincible to the two eyes
Until someone's pronounced dead
Once shrouded and buried
They then manifest
From no where
Munching all
Leaving
None.

(c)2014 Tijjani M. M.
All Rights Reserved

Here is another first for me. 

It is called a NONET POEM. A cascading syllables piece made of nine lines, with the first line having 9 syllables, the second having 8, the third having 7 and so on till the last line having only one syllable.

I observed a baffling phenomenon one afternoon. Among the rams that were sacrificed during an Eid-el-Adha Sallah, one of the skins that is usually tanned and turned to leather for exports was not properly spread out and treated for its preservation. I was thus compelled to move the hides from the positions they were laid and upon turning a small part of the animal skins, I discovered worms, tiny, light-yellowish in color, wriggling about, as if complaining that I was disturbing their peace, their schedule responsibility. 

This sight immediately reminded me of dead human bodies. So long as humans are alive, these tiny, little creatures remain stay aloft of us, are never seen on us, stay away from us in most circumstances. Except of course in extreme cases of negligence of a health condition affecting a human body part or in sicknesses that have them as part of their characteristics.

The pondering, the reflections on this very intriguing, mystifying and unexplainable happenings suddenly stirred my poetic mused and words started pouring in my mind, which I immediately found necessary to capture, thus giving birth to this poem.

And having just discovered a poetic style called NONET, I decided to pen it down in that style to sample my maiden effort with it. The above is what I ended up with.

(c)2014 Tijjani M. M.
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment